I hope that you are well and trying to have some fun in between the rain showers. I have been busy this summer visiting many of the hospital SANE programs across the state. I meet with the SANE teams at Rutland, BMH, Grace Cottage and Porter/Parton. It is always nice to see everyone in their home environment. I am also getting ready to review all the adult, adolescent and pediatric re/certifications; if you received an email that you are due for certification the deadline for submission is August 1. You can print out the forms from the website www.vermontsane.org If you have any question please feel free to email me firstname.lastname@example.org
It is that time of year to start thinking about the IAFN Conference-
We will be applying again this year for a grant from the Children’s Justice Act to fund up to six nurses to go to the 2017 International Conference on Forensic Nursing Science and Practice October 11 - Saturday, October 14, 2017in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This will be in the form of registration for the conference, payment of lodging for 4 nights at the advertised rate, reimbursement of up to $400 for travel and a daily travel stipend/per diem. If we receive the grant, we will be able to pay the registration and hotel directly and promptly reimburse your travel arrangements so that you will have little out of pocket expenses.
The criteria are as follows:
- The SANEs must be Vermont Pediatric SANEs or adult/adolescent SANEs that care for adolescents. They must be Vermont certified or have applied for certification.
- If there are more than six applicants, names will be drawn from a hat. We will limit the number from each hospital unless there are fewer than six hospitals represented.
- In return, awardees are asked to:
- serve on the planning committee for 2018 SANE Ed Days (this would be in-person or by phone 2 or 3 times)
- give a presentation (written or in-person) to SANE Board outlining the following:
- 3 things I learned that I can apply in my work right away
- 2 things I learned that will help me strengthen the SANE program at my hospital
- 2 suggestions for strengthening the SANE program statewide
- If you are not willing to fulfill the two criteria listed above, please do not apply.
- You will need a US passport to cross the and re-cross the Canadian border. Please be sure that you have a current passport or apply for a passport right away.
- Please be sure of your intention/availability to go before submitting your name.
The deadline for applying for this award is July 20 and the recipients will be notified by July 25 so that they can take advantage of the early registration discount which ends on July 31.
Send us your request to be considered and your name will go in the hat. We encourage all who are interested in applying regardless of your experience or previous attendance at a conference.
UVMMC CASE Review will not be held in July, we will resume on Thursday, August 24th. Pediatric is from 8-9 and Adult is from 9:30-10 and is held in the ED conference room.
You can also review cases on the IAFN website.
Aug. 10 will be How language shapes our response to sexual violence
Nov 1 will be A team approach: Child life's' role in pediatric sexual abuse cases
June 22 Demystifying the prepubescent medical forensic examination
Today I watched a webinar from the Strangulation Institute - Use of the Imaging Protocol in Non-Fatal Strangulation Cases
here is a Dropbox or Hightail link You can also view past webinars and other resources can be found on our website: Training Institute on Strangulation Prevention
Tribal Forensic Healthcare
In June there was a great webinar on Forensic Photography from Tribal Forensic Healthcare
IAFN Conference 10/11-14 Toronto Canada click here for the brochure
International Conference on Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, and Gender Bias. April 3-5th Chicago, Illinois click here for more information
SAVE THE DATE
Vermont SANE Retreat Tuesday, July 25th from 12-4 at Waterbury Reservoir, families are welcome. I will bring 2 kayaks and we will provide an assortment of burgers- ham/veggie/bean.... and sides. RSVP @ email@example.com
177 Reservoir Rd, Waterbury Center, VT 05677
The Legal Experiential Day will be in September in Burlington- I am still waiting on a date. The morning will be the legal testimony and the afternoon will be injury identification and documentation.
That's all for now,